This post contains affiliate links
First things first. Why not watch this CUTE little video about my family?
This is me, Priscilla AKA The Wheelchair Mommy, when I was 36 weeks pregnant with my 3rd son.
Don’t hate. I look awesome. Admit it. I have.
Here I am long after the baby came out. He was almost 3. I still look pretty fabulous (thank you concealer) except more tired. Three boys will do that to you, but you don’t have to take my word for it. Try it and let me know what out think.
Who am I?
I am a daughter. I’m a sister. I’m a wife. I’m a Mommy. I’m a teacher. I’m a writer.
I still have NO idea what I want to be when I grow up. Maybe a doctor? I might be that 50 year old gimpy Med student you read about in the news.
A little back History.
My name is Priscilla Hartman Hedlin. I must get my maiden name in there for anyone that doesn’t know me now. I live in Austin. Well, actually a suburb of Austin, called Pflugerville. The P is silent. My little town has a habit of putting Ps in front of Fs. You only get it when you live here.
I grew up in Shiner. Yes, where they make the beer (my favorite is Holiday Cheer and Ruby Red Bird) and I lived in Vidor for a short amount of time. I AM Not proud of the town and it’s history but made some pretty amazing friends in the short time I was there. Sarah. Amanda. Tiffany.
Why I blog and who I blog about.
Just after I was paralyzed, one of my nurses gave me a book written by Joni Eareckson Tada. That was the first time I realized I wanted to document my life, so if you ever read this, THANK YOU JONI!
When I first started documenting my life it was all about me and my new life with a spinal cord injury. I lost my first website (geocities). I got married and then I had kids and my journals became about them and I discovered “real” blogging. Everything became about us and now that the boys are getting older it’s slowly becoming more about me again. Life is truly a circle. I suppose when my boys are 30, they would much rather read about me anyways, but I still want to document their childhood. I’m sure their spouses will much rather read about them than the woman they hate.
A FEW must read life stories.
If you like videos you can see my OLD intro vlog. It’s mostly short. A little loud. Super sweet. I will record another one soon. I promise. (fingers crossed)
- I was born in 1981 and was the 9th and final child my parents had together. They were so CLOSE to 12. In fact my dad had 12 if you count his first son and step daughters. Shut up about my age ;).
- I had a sister die in October 1986. I remember details of visiting her for the first time at the funeral home. I can’t get it out of my head. I was 5.
- I lost my last grandparent in 1993. I never met the others, they all passed before I was born. However, I did have a step grandpa that I knew as CJ. He was the only grandpa I ever knew, but I am referring to biological. He died in 1988? or 1989?
- My parents divorced when I was 2 and I lived with my mom until I was 16 (almost 17) and then I moved in with my dad.
- After I graduated I moved in with my BFF, Sarah.
- To answer the “WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU” question…I was in a car wreck and paralyzed in September 1999. It left me with a spinal cord injury at L1, 2. That means I am a paraplegic. The person that caused it was a very good friend of mine at the time.
- When I got out of the hospital I start my first webpage. Today it would be a blog. I’ve been blogging for OVER 15 years. Yikes.
- I met my husband in 2001 and we got married in Niagara Falls a year and a half later in 2002. I was no longer Priscilla Hartman (I’m throwing my last name out there so anyone from my past can find me if they want to. I don’t mind. I googled myself and there isn’t much out there with my maiden name. Don’t judge. You’ve done it to…or you will when you leave my blog, or you may leave my blog JUST to do it. NO GO. GOOGLE YOURSELF.)
- Our first son was born in 2004.
- My dad died a few months later in 2005. There are several posts on that.
- Our second son was born in 2008 and I was told NEVER to have anymore due to complications.
- We bought our “forever” home in the fall of 2008. Then we decided it wasn’t big enough and bought our forever home AGAIN in 2014.
- Chick-fil-a became my favorite place.
- My husband bought his dream car. I’m still waiting for mine.
- My mother-in-law died unexpectedly in the fall of 2009. I’ve written several posts about that, too.
- We bought a sailboat, technically it’s big enough to be called a YACHT. Why haven’t I blogged about it? Then we boat a sunfish, which is a smaller boat. Then we bought a pop-up camper. We have far too much stuff.
- I recapped the last decade if you are really curious.
- In the spring of 2010 I got a second opinion and my dreams of having more (or at least one more) baby came true. The high risk doctor said I would be able to safely carry again and in Oct. 2010 I got my BFP! I was pregnant.
- On valentines day we found out we were having our 3rd little boy. Say it. You know you want to. MY THREE SONS!!
- In June 2011, our THIRD son arrived.
- That same year I was hospitalized with a MAJOR infection and had to have my rods removed.
- I didn’t think I could go on.
- My nephew was hit by a car and killed.
- In the fall of 2012 I started Homeschooling.
- People frequently ask me inappropriate personal questions about my paralysis. You can find the answers out here if you really want to know and I’ll NEVER know you looked. 🙂 (kidding here, I really don’t mind but it does get tiring.
- People also ask perfectly appropriate questions about how I do stuff and if I have help.
- I jumped our of an Airplane. 3 times.
- In 2013 we joined a co-op.
- My oldest son became a BLACK BELT in 2014.
- My step-dad was diagnosed with cancer and we reunited him with his son. They hadn’t had contact in nearly 40 years.
- We bought a camper and immediately drove it to Las Vegas so my mom could visit my sick brother. He also has cancer.
- In August 2014 we moved. Again. This time is the last time. I swear.
- In August 2015 our boys returned to Public School.