This is me when I was 36 weeks pregnant with my 3rd son. Don’t hate. I look awesome.
My name is Priscilla Hartman Hedlin. I must get my maiden name in there for anyone that doesn’t know me now. I live in Austin. Well, actually a suburb of Austin, called Pflugerville. The P is silent. I grew up in Shiner. Yes, where they make the beer and I lived in Vidor for a short amount of time. Not proud of the town but made some pretty amazing friends in the short time I was there.
I’ve been trying to rework this page for a while now so my readers could really get to know me, but that isn’t really easy. There is far to much to tell you and I don’t always want to overload The Wheelchair Mommy with stuff about me. I want this to be a keepsake for my boys and I haven’t been very good at posting about them lately.
I suppose when they are 30, they would much rather read about me anyways, but I still want to document their childhood. Just in case I don’t remember, ya know?!
As I began writing this I was planning to do a quick bullet point list of stuff about me. It’s the easy way out. Right? Then a thought occurred to me. I frequently have NO idea what to blog about. I can make each bullet point a blog post. Of course, not all at once, but maybe within the next year?!
Do not proceed unless you have at least 2 hours to dive in and read all the goodies. I know you will. I’m awesome like that. Many of the bullet points already have awesome blog posts links attached to them.
If you just want to see my intro vlog. It’s mostly short. A little loud. Super sweet.
- I was born in 1981 and was the 9th and final child my parents had together. Shut up about my age .
- I had a sister die in October 1986. I remember details of visiting her for the first time at the funeral home. I can’t get it out of my head. I was 5.
- I lost my last grandparent in 1993. I never met the others, they all passed before I was born. However, I did have a step grandpa that I knew as CJ. He was the only grandpa I ever knew, but I am referring to biological. He died in 1988? or 1989?
- My parents divorced when I was 2 and I lived with my mom until I was 16 (almost 17) and then I moved in with my dad.
- After I graduated I moved in with my BFF, Sarah.
- I was in a car wreck and paralyzed in September 1999. It left me with a spinal cord injury at L1, 2. That means I am a paraplegic. The person that caused it was a very good friend of mine at the time.
- When I got out of the hospital I start my first webpage. Today it would be a blog. I’ve been blogging for 12 years. Yikes.
- I met my husband in 2001 and we got married in Niagara Falls a year and a half later in 2002. I was no longer Priscilla Hartman (I’m throwing my last name out there so anyone from my past can find me if they want to. I don’t mind. I googled myself and there isn’t much out there with my maiden name. Don’t judge. You’ve done it to…or you will when you leave my blog, or you may leave my blog JUST to do it)
- Our first son was born in 2004.
- My dad died a few months later in 2005. There are several posts on that.
- Our second son was born in 2008 and I was told NEVER to have anymore due to complications.
- We bought our “forever” home in the fall of 2008.
- Chick-fil-a became my favorite place.
- My husband bought his dream car. I’m still waiting for mine.
- My mother-in-law died unexpectedly in the fall of 2009. I’ve written several posts about that, too.
- I recapped the last decade if you are really curious.
- In the spring of 2010 I got a second opinion and my dreams of having more (or at least one more) baby came true. The high risk doctor said I would be able to safely carry again and in Oct. 2010 I got pregnant.
- On valentines day we found out we were having our 3rd little boy. Say it. You know you want to. MY THREE SONS!!
- In June 2011, our THIRD son arrived.
- People frequently ask me inappropriate personal questions about my paralysis. You can find the answers out here if you really want to know and I’ll NEVER know you looked. (kidding here, I really don’t mind but it does get tiring.
- People also ask perfectly appropriate questions about how I do stuff and if I have help.
So many of you don’t know my
entire story. I was paralyzed in a car
wreck in 1999. I was 18 and just started college. The person driving was sober but my ex-sister-in-law was drunk and grabbed the wheel. We were going around a curve and another car was coming. I was thrown out. Nope. No seat belt. I was in the backseat. Not many adults wear one in the backseat, do they?! I never lost consciousness and spent about 5 weeks in the hospital. That included a really long (12-15 hour) surgery to stabilize my spine. As soon as they let me, I was ready to get into therapy and learn what I had to so I could get on with my life. One thing I’ve said since the beginning is I am changed but still the same. To this day my attitude is positive and I don’t let the injury or the scars get me down. I still do EVERYTHING I want to do I¦just do it sitting down. I have a great life and couldn’t imagine being any happier. People are always asking me how I can be so positive and I tell them it’s because I want to. I dont get feeling sorry for myself. What good does that do me? No, thank you. I want to live my life and enjoy it and no one is going to keep me from doing that, most of all myself. So now you know. I have all kinds of scars on my body as a constant reminder of 9-12-99, but sometimes I still forget. I’ll be going about my business and forget I am actually sitting until I try to reach something high up or far away. It’s quite funny, really. Flame me if you want but I also get the biggest kick out of gimp humor.
Now all my dreams have come. Despite paralysis, I am a mommy!!!